Thursday, January 10, 2013

The next right thing...

"It is not fair to ask of others what you, are not willing to do yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt

Have you ever gone to do something either for yourself or another person and asked yourself, is this the next right thing to do? Am I doing it for the right reasons? Is this about purity not selfishness? Let's face it often times people do things for others because of what they have to gain from the action. No matter how big or small the gain may be. A genuine person doesn't need to shower others with material gifts. The most precious gifts are things such as paying attention to others, respecting them for who they are, showing love and giving of our time. I recently had a situation where I have done all these things and in the end the person did not return the respect and ending up wasting a lot of time, mine and many others as well. We all offered unconditional love and support no matter what time day or night this person needed. Expecting nothing in return. Only doing it because we believed in this person and tried to help them see what others also saw they were capable of. Was it the next right thing? Yes. Was it for the right reasons? Absolutely. Was it for selfish reasons? Definitely not. When it all fell apart I had to question my reasons, my actions and motives for the part I played in this situation. I stand behind my part, knowing that I truly wanted to help with nothing to gain.

I am a firm believer that how we treat others will come back to us in some form or another. Offering others understanding and compassion changes how we perceive the world around us on a daily basis. The truth of the matter is, our own attitudes often determine what kind of experiences we'll have. For example if you view the world as being shit, then your attitude will be such. Anger and resentment won't bring us peace folks. I promise! There is an old saying I really like; "think it into a reality", meaning that if you fill your head with good things then good things will come and vise versa. The challenge comes when something does not goes as originally planned that we need to find the strength to push through the negative and stay in the positive. Remember what you put in the world will come back to you. The whole world is changed by the tiniest of acts. Do good show love!!

However, wherever and whomever we choose to help is unimportant. There are those in need everywhere. But when we figure out how to sincerely help other people, we'll have also learned how to be happy for a lifetime. See folks I try to surround myself with people who will hold me up when I feel like laying down and giving up. People that show me over and over that its ok to start trusting again. People that want only the best for me so that I can return the favor to be/give the best in return. I am very blessed in that I have GREAT support system. Lets face it life and living is about the "WE" factor not the "ME" factor. We need always remember that life is purposeful, and the events involving us are by design not by chance.

As always please continue to cover our men and woman of all branches of the military for a safe return home one day as they are protecting our HEALTHY FREEDOMS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do good show love!!!!!!! Story of my life!!!
You did good sunshine!!!
thanks
TC

Anonymous said...

A great read. Well done.It was a great piece.Up lifting.

Anonymous said...

The moto of BNI is "givers gain," I think you captured the meaning in your piece.

Anonymous said...

Perfect!!! That is the perfect reasoning behind why handing out all the welfare isn’t really helping anyone. It just makes liberals FEEL better!! Keep em’ coming.